Sunday 4 August 2013

Jam 'Doughnut' Muffins

I had heard of doughnut style muffins or 'duffins' for a while now and thought they sounded absolutely delicious, so when I came across this recipe for 'Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins' by Sally on 'Sallys Baking Addiction' (if you haven't already, you must check out her blog!) I thought I must have a go!

Instead of filling them with nutella though, I decided on strawberry jam, as jam doughnuts are my fav!
I also tweaked the recipe a bit to fit what ingredients I had, measurements and what not, but they still came out yummy!





Ingredients:
Makes 8.
For the muffins-
  • 75g unsalted butter, softened
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 120ml milk (I used semi-skimmed)
  • 190g plain flour
  • 1 and a half tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 8 tsp strawberry (or your choice) jam
For the topping-
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 tbsp caster sugar
Preheat your oven to 200c and grease a muffin tin.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then beat in the egg, vanilla extract and milk.
Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.

Fill 8 muffin holes with a tablespoon of batter, then top each with a teaspoon of jam. Then add another tablespoon of batter on top of that.
Now place into the oven for 10 minutes, after 10 reduce the heat to 180c, then bake for another 8-10 minutes.

Once baked, leave to cool for a few minutes whilst you melt the butter for the topping.
Put the caster sugar in a bowl and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the muffins with the melted butter.
Then dip each muffin into the sugar so they're nicely coated, just like a doughnut!


No comments:

Post a Comment