Sunday 8 September 2013

Apple Souffle With Homemade Custard

As its coming into autumn, apples are also coming into season, so what better time to make a dessert using them.

Now I LOVE apple crumble, and would quite happily of made that, but my dad doesn't like it! (I know right, crazy) anyway, I wanted to try something new also, like I usually do, and this is what I made!

I was slightly worried as the only other thing I have tried to make like a soufflé was a chocolate lava cake, and well, that was a disaster. So I have shied away from this sorta thing usually, but this time I was triumphant!





They came out UH-mazing, seriously my parents couldn't believe how nice they were and neither could I!
Really the ingredients are so simple, but make such a delicious dessert. (Sorry again for the photos, it was evening so bad lighting.)

With two of the leftover egg yolks I made some custard (for the first time I might add) and it was the perfect accompaniment.

Ingredients:
Serves 3.

For the souffle-
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 apples, peeled and chopped small
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 3 egg whites
For the custard-
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3 tsp corn flour
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 30g caster sugar
  • 350ml milk (I used semi skimmed)
  • 150ml double/whipping cream

Start off by melting the 1 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan.
Once melted, add in the apples and 50g of the sugar and stir to coat.
Cook on a low heat until the apples turn to a puree.
Place into a large bowl to cool.

Preheat your oven to 200c and melt the leftover tbsp of butter and brush your ramekins with it.

Then sprinkle in some caster sugar to coat the sides.
In a medium bowl beat your egg whites until almost stiff peaks.
Slowly add in the leftover 50g of sugar and beat together.
Fold a tablespoon of the egg whites into the cooled apple purée, then add the rest of the egg whites, a third at a time, whilst gently folding to combine.

Next divide the apple mixture into your ramekins and place into the oven on a baking tray for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, turn the temperature down to 180c and cook for another 7 minutes.

For the custard, place the egg yolks, cornflour, vanilla and sugar into a medium saucepan and whisk to combine.

Turn the hob to a medium-low heat and slowly pour in the milk and cream, and whisk well.
Cook for about 10 minutes, until the custard has thickened. It should not boil.

Once the soufflés have baked, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with the custard.


No comments:

Post a Comment